Year One African Drumming Workshop


If you are a music lover you will be pleased to know that here at Bluecoat we are cultivating a new crowd of young drummers! 

Our Year 1 children had the pleasure of participating in an African Drumming workshop with Finn and Maya McAuley, the young and exceptionally talented musicians from Braunton. Finn’s drumming qualities are evident from his current venture as the drummer in a Devon band ‘Shake the Geek’ - www.facebook.com/shakethegeekband/ and Maya’s love of music propelled her to study Music in Exeter. 

The Year 1 children enjoyed learning different drumming rhythms such as: Fish and Chips, Coffee and Coca-Cola; learned how to loop a set of rhythms together and were part of composing an African Jungle song. They embraced their newly enquired drumming skills back in the classrooms and couldn’t stop using them! 

Here are some clips from their African Drumming adventure. Enjoy!




What the children had to say:

"I really liked it because I liked making rain sounds and hitting it for thunder" - Albie
"I liked doing fish and chips" - Jaxon
"I liked the animal songs and the animal sounds we made. We got to choose the animals." - Leo
"I liked when they shouted gorilla and we acted like one." - Emily
"I loved it because I like drumming and we learnt new songs." - Harley
"I loved it because I liked doing the thunder sounds" - Isla
"I liked making the rain and thunder. I liked doing the different songs too" - Daisy
 

Comments