Year 5's Curious Adventure

On 23rd March 2022, Year 5 visited We The Curious in Bristol as part of their “If not Earth, where?” topic, along with the Enterprise, Sustainability and the Real World curriculum driver for this term.

It was so wonderful for the children to be out and about again after so long, and they had an amazing day exploring the exhibits and trying out different activities. They were also able to visit the Planetarium and take part in a 3D space trip as space tourists, visiting the frozen heart of Pluto, Halley’s Comet, the Spider and experiencing a meteor shower as well as learning about a solar eclipse. The visual effects in the show really gave the feeling of being out in space - the children felt they could reach out and touch the planets and stars as they zoomed past!













Here's what the children had to say:

“I enjoyed it when my group were playing with the sand - it was really cool how it changed colours and in some parts it looked like a satellite had taken a photo of it. I also liked making the bubbles because you had to pull the pulley and I don’t think I’ll ever make a bubble that big again.” Freddie 5D 

"I enjoyed the 3D space planetarium because it felt like we were actually moving and it made me feel sleepy! I also liked the sideways room because there was a ball and it rolled up instead of down.” Maggie 5D 

“I liked the pulleys and motors and I liked that you could make the flag move at the end. I liked the bit where you had to connect a parachute and transport it up to the ceiling, then it fell down.” Harry 5D

“I really enjoyed making the big bubbles.” Esther 5D

“I liked the Wallace and Gromit bit because you could animate it, it was really cool, and you could change the colours of it. I also liked it where there were two bits of wire and electricity following it up, it was really cool. There were some optical illusions as well” Howi 5D

"I liked the ‘Animate it!’ section because you could make whatever animation you wanted. I liked the part where you could photograph your shadows - you could see your shadows on the screen.” Megan 5D

“The whole day was really good fun!” Madison 5D

"I really, really liked going on the space tour in the planetarium.  Seeing the tails of the comets in 3D was amazing so I was trying to reach out and touch it because it was so amazing." Naomi 5B

"I really liked the cow with the artificial udders because they felt really realistic.  It was trying to teach you about healthy eating and being good for the environment.  I nearly fell off my chair in the Planetarium too, I was trying to follow the stars and was really absorbed so I felt like I was falling into space!" Theo 5B

"There was a little thing you went in and there was a wall and you could do a shape on it and when you let go, it left your shadows.  It was so cool!" Harriet 5B

"On the first floor there was a room where you could change the lights to different rainbow colours and you could pick whatever colour of the room and it changed the mood of the room." Ellie-Mai 5B

"I enjoyed the section where you drop a magnet down different tubes made of various metals.  I think it was because of the different levels of magnetism so the copper slowed it down by the end of the tube we made!" Harry M 5B

"There were some magnets and some magnetite flakes and you could pile it all up and make sculptures out of it.  It looked really spikey and cool." Poppy 5B

"One of my favourite bits was the sand pit with lights above.  I made a massive hill called Mount Harland and it lit up the different bits in different colours like a map to show how high above sea level it was!" Harland 5B

"When I put my hands into a box, I could play the piano keys and hear it and see my hands.  When I pressed a button, my hands went invisible but I could still see when I was moving the keys.  I think the mirror reflected the light differently." Emily B

"I loved the magnetic flakes.  It was exciting to move it all around and they made the liquid look thick and fun to make patterns." Charlie 5S

"We loved the sound dome which made the sounds we made travel around the circle and back to us.  It was really cool." Ossian 5S 

"I loved the slow motion effect machine.  We created a pillow fight and then jumped up and down and watching it in slow motion was so funny.  Mrs Stevens added to it and pretended to be celebrating by jumping up and down. We really laughed." Rory 5S

"I really enjoyed the colour matching hexagon with different coloured tiles.  Once we’d gone round and put all the tiles in a metal bar came out and made them all fall down again." Lola 5S

"The planetarium was amazing.  The 3D glasses made it feel as though earth was sitting right in front of you and you could reach out and touch it.  It really felt as though we were travelling in space." Theo 5S  

"I loved the whispering tree which was downstairs.  Mrs Stevens and I were sharing secrets and no matter how quietly I whispered she could still hear me from so far away." Hilton 5S

"I really enjoyed forcing massive bubbles up the different coloured tubes to see which would reach the top the quickest." Ted 5S

"The mirrors were great fun.  They have dips in different places so your reflection looked odd." Emily 5S  

"I really enjoyed the sand pit with different colours to show how high it was above the sea.  The black lines show how steep the hills are so we tried really hard to make the highest hill with the lines as close together as possible." Craig 5S

"The giant hamster wheel was really clever.  The faster you ran around it the more water came out of the waterfall at the side.  IT was demonstrating how rocks erode over time into sand." Abi 5S  


Comments